We are NGO based in Chiplun block in Ratnagiri district of Maharashtra State. We firmly believe that “Democracy works when citizens and the most marginalized people have the capability to ask questions, seek accountability from the state and participate in the process of governance. Democracy becomes meaningful when people can shape the state and the state, in turn, creates enabling social, political, economic and legal conditions wherein, people can exercise their rights and realize the freedom from fear and want”.
With a view that “Every action for building nation counts”! We as citizens owe a lot to our People and we have to make most of each and every opportunity for contributing in their drive for development.
|Registration Act||Registration Date||Place of Registration||
|Society Act, 1860||14.03.2013||Ratnagiri||MH- 4982|
|Trust Act, 1950||06.05.2013||Ratnagiri||F- 4964|
|Income Tax Act, 1961 Section 12AA(1)(b)(i)||10.09.2015||Pune||PN/CIT(Exemp.)/Tech/12AA/Pune Rg./578/108/2015-16/2527|
|Income Tax Act, 1961 Section 80G(5)(vi)||02.03.2016||Pune||PN/CIT(Exemp.)/Tech/80G/197/2015-16/5716|
PAN No.: AABTD8364 R
GuideStar Number (GSN): 6320
Organisation Id as per Planning Commission’s NGO Partnership System: MH/2013/0058861
Dishantar firmly believe that “Democracy works when citizens and the most marginalized people have the capability to ask questions, seek accountability from the state and participate in the process of governance. Democracy becomes meaningful when people can shape the state and the state, in turn, creates enabling social, political, economic and legal conditions wherein, people can exercise their rights and realize the freedom from fear and want”.
Dishantar is a grassroots NGO presently working in Ratnagiri district of Maharashtra. The organization’s goal is to empower the underprivileged community in their drive for freedom and development. The organization has brought forward model Adivasi hamlet i.e. Nirbade Khindwadi in Chiplun block of Ratnagiri district. Dishantar has supported the Nirbade Khindwadi’s efforts for getting mainstreamed. Before 14 years, this hamlet was living in medieval ages and today they are taking privileges of hi-tech development tools e.g. water purifiers, solar lights, POS banking service and so on. Few other hamlets in the district are trying to follow this model with Dishantar’s hand-holding support.
Dishantar is also working with the primitive shepherd (Dhangar) community which is far away in terms of distance and far behind in terms of development. They do not have access to basic public amenities even after 67 years of India’s Independence. Dishantar is trying to mainstream them in development by increasing their access to education, careers and enhanced standard of living.
Other activities of Dishantar include supporting education of underprivileged children through Course Book Banks for college students and provision of scholarships for bright but supportless students. We have been engaged in Adolescents’ capacity building to make them competent enough to shape their future in right directions with due recognition to indian values.
Health initiatives for rural community especially for women and children are also conducted. Dishantar’s health camps are not just a one day event but the community who seem to get further treated or needing surgery are supported by making financial provisions in support with medical trusts in Mumbai and Pune.
Development initiatives cannot be succeeded without active participation of women and hence Dishantar conducts activities for economic and social empowerment of women. Natural resource based livelihood activities for sustainable development are an integral part of Dishantar’s initiatives.
Freedom is “Access to adequate food, clean water, unpolluted air, shelter, education, health care and gainful employment. Above all development should lead to an enhanced capacity to engage in social, political and economic decision making.
Patriot, knowledgeable, ethical, progressive society.
- Course Book Bank: Dishantar has started Course Book Bank consisting 15857 books worth Rs. 11,25,759/- benefiting 13826 students in 26 Junior Colleges from Rural Ratnagiri where the students from remote areas study. Dishantar doesn’t charge a single penny to students or colleges for this initiative.
- Scholarship: Scholarship has been given to 7 students (5 female and 2 male) by making available total scholarship for Rs. 426,400/-. The process of candidate selection, making the scholarships available is very transparent. Dishantar team is not just providing monetary support but also trying to provide moral and parenting support.
- Ideal Tribal Hamlet: Nirbade Khindwadi has come forward as an ideal tribal hamlet by adopting positive steps of civilization e.g. Freedom from alcohol abuse, schooling and higher education, better housing, electrification, health and sanitation status. Use of solar energy, water purification technology for betterment.
- Health & Sanitation: Successfully implemented Sujal Project, a project for safe drinking water to 125 underprivileged community households. It has sustainably enabled community to adopt better hygienic practices at household level. 10 underprivileged households from Nirbade have been supported to set up toilet structures enabling and empowering them to improve quality of life. 2 public toilets (unit of 5 toilets) have been constructed in Akle. In Ovli, Katkari community was provided with bore-well and water tank. Health camps organized by Dishantar are to achieve the objective of better health for underprivileged community. 1461 community members have been benefited from health camps. 25 patients have been made available medical aid worth Rs. 12.50 lakhs.
- Adishakti (Adolescents’ Capacity Building): Adolescence is an important stage of growth for children. Intervention at this stage can help girls overcome barriers to empowerment in adulthood since girls represent the next generation of mothers and social and economic actors. Hence, we conduct series of capacity building workshops for girls to make them aware about their own personality, to enhance their knowledge about physical and mental health by conducting sessions such as facilitation by psychologist , legal advisor, gynecologist, career consultants and so on. Till now, 1000 girls have participated in this initiative.
- Annapurna (Women Farm Entrepreneurship): 50 women from Vehele Rajvirwadi in Chiplun block of Ratnagiri district are engaged in organic agro entrepreneurial activities in AÞnyUm© project. This project has brought forward scalable and replicable model of farm entrepreneurship. It’s a complexion of traditional knowledge and S&T. It was for the first time in the history of Ratnagiri district that Women Farmers’ Groups have procured Power Tiller, Mobile Rice Mill, Rice Threshing Machine. 50 acre land has been brought under cultivation over a period of a year. This pilot project had been covered by electronic media i.e. 2 Marathi news channels ABP Maza & Saam. This year the project is being replicated on 130 acres of land by 109 farmers in Kalvande Satinwadi from Chiplun block of Ratnagiri district.